Thursday 12 December 2013

How to start a Tradition.

With all the ideas on Pintrest and the internet, its not hard to find many new ideas to start your own traditions. N and I had a discussion last Christmas about our favorite holiday traditions with our own families and which ones we would not be doing with our our N&B Werdal family. while we were discussing it became apparent that getting together with all of our siblings, parents and extended family wasn't the right choice for our family. While I could get into all the things we disliked about it I won't, the bottom line being that we wanted to start our own traditions and make our own memories. I do agree the holidays are for spending with family, close and extended I do not feel that it has to be done in three days, There is so much drama that happens in those three days it just becomes way to much and after the last 7 years we have decided that if our families would like to spend time with us they can approach us but we will not be involved in and big gatherings during the Christmas season. The hardest part was saying no. We took the whole year to prepare ourselves but in the last two weeks we've had to explain ourselves and say no over and over. We do feel bad but its the right choice for our lil family.


This year we started and followed through with Elf on the shelf. We weren't visited by the traditional Elf though we have been elfed by a TY monkey that is dressed in a Santa suit. The kids love him and the joy on their faces and their laughter in the morning is priceless. Santa Monkey as he's called keeps himself busy and is up to no good most nights. This week however he stayed in the same spot. I had caught the kids playing with him and moving him around on Tuesday so Santa Monkey stayed asleep for Tuesday night and didn't get up to his bad antics that night. The sorrow and sadness apparent in the three older kids' faces the next morning assured me their would be no more touching of our Monkey. I'm sure Santa Monkey has many plans for the next 12 days and will be continuing to get into trouble.

This is the first year our kids will make crafts for the special people in our lives. They are all doing 4 crafts and many of those four and they will each decide which person gets what. It has been a fun process.First in choosing which crafts we will be doing and then shopping for or gathering supplies and finally (well as far as we have got) doing each craft in steps so it has time to dry and such. I cant wait till we get to decide who gets what and wrap them.

This is also the first year the older three kids will buy for their siblings themselves. We will be supervising of course. We have decided while they are so young they will get to buy from the dollar store this year. They will get $15 each (plus taxes if they need it) they will buy ONE item for each of their siblings and us. This is a tradition I am carrying over from my family and I am super excited about it. We had only 3 people to buy for and only got $5. It was so fun to see what we got each other and what we received. it was fun to see what my brother thought I would like and my dads reaction to his gag gift i got him every year. I can not wait to see the kids when we take them shopping but also when they open their gifts from their siblings.

This is my third year doing a December Album. I take pictures of what we do in December and Scrapbook them I haven't done it the last three years just 3 years out of the last 5 or 6. I am doing a MINI Album this year, I think I liked the 12x12 more due to space. I could fit more pictures and info on a 12x12 rather than a small album and having the four kids I need that precious space. Now some of you are asking what a December album is. It is an Album of what we do in December. As families we do SO MUCH in the month of December and usually the only thing that is documented is Christmas day and the few days around it. I love documenting the preparations that go into that one day and into the season. The gift buying, wrapping and such, making cookies, the weather and more.

There is more we are hoping to do over the Christmas holidays but I don't want to say until we actually do them.

I hope you are all taking time for yourselves this holiday season.





No comments:

Post a Comment